Monday, April 18, 2016

INFRASTRUCTURE COLLAPSE: Bus Crashes In Eastern Cape, South Africa - 10 People Killed!

Statement by Transport Minister after bus crash of volunteers from ANC Ekurhuleni region. Photo: Arrive Alive ‏via Twitter

April 18, 2016 - SOUTH AFRICA - The bus company whose drivers were involved in the accident in which 10 ANC members were killed at the weekend, said on Tuesday it will await a report from its own private investigators before taking any action.

"We are awaiting a report from our private investigator," Kabati Transport Services spokesperson Wesley Maringa told News24.

"Upon receipt of that we will be able to know how best to move forward."

Maringa emphasised that everything would be done "by the book".

"We are going to act accordingly," he said.

Lieutenant Malebo Khosana said a 31-year-old driver was briefly detained for his role in the accident.

"The other driver was still at a hospital in Welkom where he is stable, but could not talk to the investigating official," Khosana said.

On Tuesday, Maringa confirmed that one driver was discharged. Seven people who had been injured during the crash, including the other driver, were still in hospital, but none of them had sustained any critical injuries.

The ANC addressed families of the Free State bus crash victims in Katlehong on Monday afternoon.

The bus was carrying ANC members to Ekurhuleni, in Gauteng, after they had attended the launch of the ANC's local government elections manifesto in Port Elizabeth on Saturday.


The site of a bus crash where 10 ANC supporters were killed. Photo: Free State Health Dept

Gauteng leaders of the African National Congress have visited the families of 10 people who died in the  bus accident en route home from the party's manifesto launch in the Eastern Cape at the weekend.
"The broad family of the ANC is still shocked by this horrific loss of life‚" the party said in a statement on Monday evening.

"The provincial and regional leadership visited all the families individually throughout this afternoon. "A funeral committee has been established consisting of comrades from the province and the region to assist the affected families with logistical arrangements."

Funeral details are yet to be announced.

The ANC named those who lost their lives as:
1. Sphamandla Gedle (Male)
2. Simphiwe Nhlapho (Female)
3. Tiisetso Ntsilo (Male)
4. Sesi Mtshali (Female)
5.Sana Sibeko (Female)
6. Mphikeleli Malindi (Male)
7. Gugulethu Sithole (Female)
8.Vusi Nkabinde (Male)
9. Daphney Linda (Female)
10. Sicelo Kheswa (Male)

- News24 | Times Live.






No comments: